Friday, March 29, 2013

Rembrandt's The Raising of the Cross



Last year during Sunday school, I was fascinated when my teacher read about Rembrandt van Rijn.
I have heard of Rembrandt and seen his artwork my entire life, but I did not know he was a Christian. It was touching to hear how he used his God-giving skills to share his testimony.
I found this blog article by Joel J. Miller mentioning this particular work by Rembrandt:
I think there is much to gain from meditating on Rembrandt’s Raising of the Cross. The painting features a remarkable self-portrait. There in the middle of the scene Rembrandt wears a blue beret and actively helps to hoist the cross upon which Christ is nailed, saying in effect, “My sins are why Jesus is on the cross — I put him here.”

Meditating on the cross compels us to look down at the hammer in our right hand and the nails in our left, to wipe away the beads of sweat from our terrible labors. 


But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.
-Isaiah 53:5
Thank you, Jesus.
God bless,
hannaH

1 comment:

  1. I love that painting- so amazing to think about all the Christians who've passed before us and reflected on all Christ has done for them. I find that so encouraging

    ReplyDelete