Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Why I crochet

 
I love to crochet. I love looking at different patterns and designs. I love yarn & it's different colors & textures. The repetitive motion of creating the stitches is soothing to me.
I have always wanted to crochet. My mom & grandmother will crochet a little every couple of years. I would try crochet every year or so, I would look at different books and patterns, then I would get frustrated with it and put my hook and yarn away for a year or two before I would try it again. I didn't have the patience for it. It is funny for my to look back & realize that the time that I feel in love with crochet, & really start to understand it, was during a time when I was the least patient.
I went through a bout of depression and anxiety a couple of years ago. It was a time when my sad thoughts and fears where constant companions & I was looking for something to occupy my mind, but not many things could distract me long enough.
I can't remember how I started thinking about crochet again, but I did. Winter was on it's way so it was a nice time to start a yarn project. I started looking up how-to videos on Youtube, mostly hat tutorials. And for some reason it stuck this time. Unlike my past attempts, crochet was calming, and it was something to look forward to. Learning crochet, as with anything else, is by trial & error. You need to learn the stitches & come up with the technique that works best for you.



I can't tell you that crochet is the reason why I am better, because it isn't. During the depression I really had to seek & draw closer to the Lord. Prayer and scripture were and are vital. I am also very blessed with loved ones who were there for me and helped me along the way. Crochet was not the cure to my aliment, but it was a wonderful supplement for a weary mind. Creating is a wonderful thing for one to do. God design us to be productive, work with our hands & see that work finished.  I was amazed to find something new that I enjoyed during this period of time. It is boost to my confidence to find a pattern and sit down and create a replica with my own hands. Crochet was and is a way to release stress. It is something I hope to be capable of for a long, long time.


I would encourage anyone feeling down to find something you enjoy doing and develop and hone it into a skill; writing, painting, music, gardening, whatever. Just try it. We live in a time where information is right at our fingertips. Tips and tutorials are just clicks away. Utilize them.
But if there is something deeper, I will be willing to pray for you.

Have a wonderful week!
God bless,
hannaH

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Hannah! I went through something similar myself (if you'd like, you can read about it here: http://winkieflash.nl/2012/10/19/crochet-saved-my-life/) and I always like reading these stories. I love that you speak so openly about your faith; a lot of people tend to be ashamed for it.
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete