Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mom's finished granny square afghan


 

I am so happy with how my mom's afghan turned out! I love the colors. I think the gray does a wonderful job of contrasting each color. I started this project the beginning of February and finished it on April 24. It is the largest crochet project I have ever completed. The best thing about the afghan is that my mom loves it!
 
I connected all the squares using the join-as-you-go method. There are tons of tutorials on the method all over the web. Here is the joining granny squares as-you-go tutorial from Attic24.


I knew that I wanted to add a single crochet boarder to the afghan, but wasn't sure how I was going to execute it. I finally decided on using a moss stitch (a.k.a. tweed stitch)  for the colorful boarder. I am now in love with this stitch and plan on using it on other projects. Here is a video tutorial of how to crochet the moss stitch. Of course you can see that I changed the yarn color for each row compared to using one color. This gives the boarded the tweed look.


 
For any readers interested in creating a granny square, check the Purl Bee's tutorial of how to crochet a granny square. Their instructions and photos are very easy to follow. 
 
Thanks for reading & have a wonderful day!
God bless,
hannaH
















4 comments:

  1. It looks great! I just don't have the patience to work on such big projects... I've only made two basic afghans but nothing near as pretty as this. Jealous :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw! This is absolutely beautiful:) I love looking at all the amazing things you've made!!! Love from Nepal, Katie

    ReplyDelete