Friday, January 31, 2014

quiet January

I have heard over and over again that January is the most depressing month of the year. I can understand why. It would be hard being the month that follows December, which is filled with the excitement of Christmas and New Year's. In January all of the pretty lights and Christmas decorations have come down and there is nothing to distract the eye from the landscape that is cold and brown in the dead of winter. I feel sorry for January, it is to the year like Mondays is for the week. I gets a lot of hate. I don't want to bash this month. It has been a nice month. We had a nice time last week celebrating my dad's birthday with friends and family. We had snow this week (a very rare occurrence in my neck of the woods). I even got a day off from work. Fun! I try and keep in mind that the time quite times in between exciting times are good times for preparation. January is like that. Christmas time is before it and spring time is after it. But in the cold of January there are the spring flowers preparing quietly under the cold ground. There is a season for everything. We as humans need to experience a contrast in the weather and the activities in our life to appreciate each of these seasons in their on way and what they bring. There are fewer distractions so we can have an easier time focusing of important things and grow in that. Since it is colder outside, I want to stay in my bed with my heated blanket longer then I would if the weather was warmer. Seating in my warm bed with a cup of coffee is my favorite time to have my devotional time reading my Bible. I am more likely to read in my bed longer since I am putting of going outside. Remember the quiet preparation time and try to enjoy it.
I am still looking forward to what 2014 has in store.






No comments:

Post a Comment